Friday, February 15, 2008

Washing my 100 lbs lab today

I took the boys to the local Pet Clin self serve dog wash today for their weekly washing. I must say, I figured out how to get Ike, the 100 lbs black lab, done in the 14 minute cycle. Now keep in mind, this includes 3 minutes of shampoo time, 2 minutes of flea & tick, and another minute of rinsing. The key is after I was done rinsing, I wiped off the access water with my hands, literally ringing out his legs... then I quickly towel dried him and used the rest of the 6 minutes with the dryer on the high speed. When the cycle ended, he wasn't 100% dry but dry enough to get him in the truck and after a shore drive, he's back home under my desk and smelling very nice. It's such a life savor for me and is much more pleasant to have a clean dog around the house.

One other suggestion: brush out the old fur BEFORE you begin the wash cycle. I use a rubber square brush for thicker coats. He looks that much better when he's finished and I don't see as much black hair on the floor. Can you say Swiffer? ...well, I certainly don't have to swiffer as often any more.

3 comments:

  1. Boy! This seems like a super way to get a large dog cleaned up, especially when the dog is active and likes to roll around on the ground and get dirty. I'm going to have to look around to find one of these self serve dog wash stations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used the dog wash several times with my 100lb yellow lab. He is not thrilled iwth it, but he is not upset with it either. I have not been able to get him as dry as I would like, but overall it is a great way get the dog clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bob. Are you using a towel to get the excess water off of your lab before using the dryer? Ring out his legs and paws, get the excess water off and then use the drying option. Also, it takes at least 8-12 minutes to get a lab fairly dry. So extend the time a few minutes if need be by depositing more money. Professional groomers have to use the dryers for a long time and typically, they won't dry the dog completely and will put them in a kennel still damp and let them air dry the rest of the way... which is why they typically tell you that 'he's not all the way dry yet'. Using a towel after you rinse will speed up the process. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete